We all know the world is changing fast. Innovation and disruption is the new norm and it is affecting every industry from automotive to banking, and real estate is not missing out. As Sydney’s most flexible residential rental agency Property Providers™ are keen adopters of new technology and are continually searching for more effective and efficient ways working. We encourage the use of technology that benefits our owners, guests, tenants, trades and staff.
One area in which innovation is really accelerating is property access and entry. Traditional keys are quickly becoming redundant and are being replaced with smarter, faster and frankly better access solutions. Enter keyless entry! Going keyless is not only “trendy” but it is quickly becoming the new norm, replacing metal cut keys with code entry devices.
So what is the benefit to you, our owners, of keyless entry?
- It makes your life easier: We have found that owners who have installed keyless entry find multiple uses for it such as providing easy access to trades, nannies/babysitters and kids coming home from school without misplacing their keys!
- Faster: It is much quicker to organize general logistics (i.e. you don’t have to be there and don’t have to interrupt your life to let people in).
- Lower Costs: When trades have to pick up keys for your property from our office they add this time to their costs. Or we charge you if we are required to meet them there. Keyless entry solves this problem instantly and therefore saves you money. It also assists us in keeping our property management commission as low as possible. As we like to say “Time is Currency”.
- Tracking: Depending on what type of keyless entry you decide to install, you could be able to track when people are coming and going. It is possible to allocate different codes to different people.
- Increased Security: There is an argument that keyless entry systems are more secure because the locks are far more difficult to pick. It is best practice that locks are changed after every 4 tenancies for security. Keyless entry makes this simple and easy to manage…. and no trips to the locksmith!
- Owner Testimonial: “Keyless access to our home has fundamentally revolutionised our lives. Not only do we not have to carry round keys, but we can now provide access to friends, relatives, cleaners or trade folk without having to be there to let them in. All the numbers are re-programmable so there is no security risk as we can delete an access code at will.” Dick: Harborside Observatory
So how does this help us, your property managers, look after your property better?
- It makes us more agile: Keyless entry to your property can increase our responsiveness, allowing us to get things fixed faster (which can decrease cost) and keeps our trades happy!
- It makes checking up on your property easier: If we are in the area of your property and it has keyless entry then we can easily pop in and check up on it without having to plan to do so. On the spot inspections mean that you know your property is being looked after to the best of our ability.
- It can proactively eliminates problems. Keys can be very fickle and if they are not cut perfectly, can cause serious issues with guests being locked out or us not being able to access the property for cleaning or checking. No one wants the 10pm locksmith call out when a guest arrives late and can’t get in.
So, why do guests and tenants like it?
- Enhanced Convenience: It saves guests and tenants time and energy by not having to come to our office to collect keys. This has been shown to increase positive guest reviews in short-term stays which can get more bookings!
- No Lost Keys: It takes away the pressure on the guests not to lose keys and ensures that they can’t! Traditional keys get lost often which is a security risk as well as an unwanted expense.
- Keys that don’t work: There is no risk of guests arriving at a property after collecting keys and then them not working. It saves the aggravation and negative experience of this situation! With keyless systems gaining access to a property is a certainty as long as the password is correct.
So, I’m interested but I have some questions…
- Can I choose what I put on my door? Absolutely you can, there are a range of different products that you can choose from that have different esthetics and functionality. It’s your property, we want it to work well and look great too.
- What happens if the battery dies? Most electronic keyless entry systems have a manual key element as well or they have a manual punch code. We recommend keeping it simple and avoiding complicated systems. There are also a range of non-electronic options to choose from.
- What if I don’t want to install this on my front door? There are a number of different ways we can install keyless entry. One common solution is to install a small keyless entry case (i.e. commonly known as mini garages) on a wall near the front door that can securely hold keys. We do recommend permanently installed models though as they are less problematic.
- Can I still use keys? Depending on the model that you select. Most systems have a key backup should the code system not function properly. Alternatively we can install keyless on a secondary door vs. the front door.
- Can I change the code? Absolutely, many owners have systems that host a few different codes so they can distribute to guests, trades family etc. If you change the code, you do have to inform us though so we don’t have problems on our side. We recommend changing out the code regularly.
- What happens if I choose not to install? If you would prefer not to take advantage of the benefits of keyless entry, please understand that this increases the labor associated with managing your property (particularly for short-term rental). As such there will be a 1% increase to the property management commission charged on your property.
- How much does it cost? It really depends on what solution that you choose as well as the door itself. Estimate range from $250 to $600 and is of course tax deductable.
- I want to find out more? Check out Keyless Entry Models Link
So, I want to install keyless entry, what’s next?
We want to encourage our owners to adopt this new technology and way of access and have therefore partnered with a couple of local locksmiths who offer a range of keyless entry options. They are able to offer Property Provider’s clients trade rates for installation of keyless entry. Here are the three different products on offer:
Manual Code Punch – Approx $125
Digital code punch – Approx $250
Smart phone operated lock – Approx $500
After choosing which entry device you would like to use, the next step is easy. Simply call us to get the name and number of our recommended locksmiths and book a time with them to come out and install. Please advise them that we have referred you in order to get our trade rates/discounts. We look forward to accessing your property “key free” soon!
- Blog (63)
- Case Studies (7)
- Industry (25)
- Investing (33)
- Long Term (27)
- Regulation (8)
- Short Term (42)
- Style (9)
- Sydney (18)
- June 2022 (5)
- April 2022 (3)
- March 2022 (1)
- November 2021 (1)
- October 2021 (3)
- September 2021 (1)
- July 2021 (3)
- June 2021 (4)
- May 2021 (1)
- April 2021 (1)
- March 2021 (1)
- November 2020 (3)
- September 2020 (1)
- August 2020 (2)
- July 2020 (3)
- April 2020 (2)
- March 2020 (2)
- October 2019 (3)
- September 2019 (1)
- July 2019 (4)
- April 2019 (2)
- March 2019 (2)
- December 2018 (1)
- November 2018 (1)
- October 2018 (1)
- August 2018 (2)
- July 2018 (3)
- June 2018 (3)
- March 2018 (1)
- February 2018 (1)
- August 2017 (1)
#airbnb #booking.com #corporaterelocations #corporaterentals #corporaterentals #executiveleasing #shorttermrentals #COVID-19 #executiveleasing #executiverentals #extendedstays #furnishedrentals #holidayhome #holidayrental #homeaway #instantbooking #morebookings #novacancy #petfriendlyrentals #pets #propertyproviderssydney #propertyproviderssydney #shorttermrentals #corporaterelocations #executiverentals #homeawayfromhome #furnishedrentals #localaccommodation #temporaryaccommodation #shorttermrental #shorttermrentals #smartershorttermrentals #sydneyrentals #vacationrentals advise for landlords guests hirehouse hireproperty Holiday Stays investment property lease long term rental Luxury Property Investment Property Management Property Manager propertyproviders rental rentals renting Short-Term Rentals short term rental Sydneyproperty tenants
British born and raised in London but currently enjoying all Australia has to offer. Living and breathing Sydney’s Manly Beach and forever promoting SUPball to all who’ll listen.