Policy: Guest & Tenant Mail Management – waiting for copy
Property Providers™ vision is to, “Help People Live Better” through being Sydney’s most flexible residential rental company. This vision is driven by 3 core values; Passion, Performance and Partnership. This policy has been created in line with our guiding principal that all great long-term partnerships have a strong foundation of mutual respect, mutual reward, mutual investment and mutual risk.
The purpose of this document is to clearly communicate Property Providers’™ Policy in relation to mail management for guests and tenants. This policy applies to Short-Term Guests (<6 months occupancy) and Long-Term Tenants (>=6 months occupancy)
Although it may seem straight forward, mail presents a unique challenge in property management. Mail by post (vs email) remains a major communication method for organizations to communicate with their customers. However, mail by its very nature is sensitive and private, which is why it is illegal to open someone else’s mail without their permission. The agency cannot be responsible for individuals mail or parcel collection, before, during or after their rental.
- To be clear about the role/responsibility and liability of the guest/tenant and the agency in relation to mail.
- To provide best practice recommendations that proactively avoid problems occurring for both parties.
- To implement a fair framework that balances the guests/tenant experience and manages inconvenience, cost and risk.
- To support the company’s guiding principal that all long-term relationships have a foundation of mutual respect, mutual reward, mutual investment, and mutual risk.
For All Types Rentals:
- Managing personal post/parcels is outside the scope of Property Management and we are therefore indemnified against any recourse as a result of mail not being received/opened.
- Mail/parcels may not be sent to Property Providers offices at any time.
- If mail/parcels are delivered to the property after either a guest or tenant departure, it may be destroyed, returned to sender or not recovered by the agency or any other party with access. IF Property Providers agrees to retrieve it upon request (if it is even possible to do so), this will occur within a reasonable time frame deemed by Property Providers. Property Providers is not responsible for any penalties or consequences resulting from tenant/guest mail (i.e. late penalties, disconnections etc).
- If mail is agreed to be retrieved, then the guest will be liable for ALL associated costs. This includes labour costs to retrieve, costs required to resend/ redirect and locksmith should secure mailboxes need to be opened. A valid credit card will be required prior to any action being taken. If the mail is not at the property as expected, associated fees will still apply. When mail is retrieved, by default, it will be returned to our office for collection. Property Providers will not hold mail/parcels in our offices for collection for longer than 48 hours or 2 working days. If it is not collected in this period, it will be destroyed or returned to sender. If the tenant/guest sends a delegate to collect, the agency will require written approval from the person that the mail is addressed to. The delegate will also be required to present valid photo ID.
Short-Term Rentals & Guests:
- Mail in all forms are exclusively the responsibility of the guest. If guests do elect to use their property address for their mail/parcels during their stay they do at their own risk.
- In adherence with our terms and conditions (https://www.propertyproviders.com.au/terms-conditions/), Property Providers, nor any of our staff, suppliers or the property owner, are not responsible for any mail or items delivered to the rental property during at any time (i.e. before, during or after the guest’s stay).
- We recommend that while in temporary accommodation guests should arrange a local PO box, place of work, friends, family members or forwarding address should they want or expect to receiving mail at any time (i.e. before, during or after the guest’s stay.)
For Long Term Tenants:
- Long term tenants are considered permanent occupants and are within their rights under the NSW tenancy agreement to use their rental property address for their mail during their tenancy.
- Post tenancy, tenants are required to ensure that their mail is redirected to their new address with immediate effect.
- If mail is received post tenancy at their previous rental address and requested by the tenant to be retrieved, then tenants are liable for all costs associated with the labour to retrieve it and costs to redirect or resend it.
- Mail retrieved at the property post tenancy may be destroyed or returned to sender by Property Providers or new tenants at any time
- Property Providers are not a postal service and cannot be responsible for the delivery, retrieval and sending of guests/tenants mail and parcels during or post stay/tenancy.
- Mail by its very nature is personal and private and we do not wish to be involved in our guests/tenants personal affairs.
- Retrieving mail/parcels from properties is time consuming and labour intensive. Property Providers do not wish to be responsible for where mail goes to and from.
Effective Date: This policy is effective December 2019